Crispy Baked Cauliflower-Corn Nuggets
Sorry, chicken fingers. These crispy baked cauliflower-corn nuggets from Cauliflower by Oz Telem are giving you a run for your money.
Although you can totally deep-fry them, we prefer to pop them into the oven for healthier results. That way, we can slather on the ketchup and nosh all we want.
1 medium cauliflower
1 large potato, cooked and peeled
2 medium eggs
4 ounces Gouda or cheddar cheese, grated
Kernels from 2 corn cobs (or ¾ cup frozen kernels—no need to defrost)
½ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
4 tablespoons oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Steam the whole cauliflower until tender but not completely soft, 11 to 13 minutes. Cut into florets and reserve the stem and stalks for other uses.
3. In a large bowl, mash the cooked potato, add the florets and continue mashing until the cauliflower is broken into small bits but still retains some texture.
4. Crack in the eggs and add the cheese, corn kernels and salt. Mix well, then stir in the flour to create a thick, slightly sticky mass. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Using wet hands to keep the mixture from sticking to you, shape a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into a ball or nugget and put it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
6. In a shallow bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the sesame seeds. Coat the nuggets in the mixture, then return them to the baking sheet.
7. Drizzle the nuggets with the oil and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Serve at once, with any dip you like and a side salad. The nuggets may be refrigerated for four days or frozen for up to three months.