Oh, butternut squash, we adore you. Your sweet, nutty flavor. Your hearty, soft texture. Not to mention the bounty of nutrients you possess. (We're talking nearly 300 percent of our daily vitamin A per cup, plus 48 percent of our daily vitamin C and a hefty dose of potassium to boot.) You're also super versatile, so we can toss you into pasta, purée you into pizza sauce (more on that later), fold you into quesadillas or turn you into soul-warming chili or soup. It's no wonder you don't have any haters. And even if you did, these 40 butternut squash recipes would surely convert them. Behold, an ode to our favorite fall vegetable.
The 40 Best Butternut Squash Recipes to Tackle This Sweater Season
4. Butternut Squash Quesadilla With Caramelized Onion
5. Vegan Butternut Mac And ‘cheese’ With Smoky Shiitake ‘bacon’
We love everything about this. Everything, from the cashew-butternut "cheese" sauce to the shiitake mushroom "meat."
6. Bulgur With Roasted Butternut Squash, Sage And Goat Cheese
8. Lentil And Cauliflower Curry With Roasted Butternut Squash Noodles
Our cravings are satisfied, thanks to Coterie member Ali Maffucci. Spiralize your own or check by the zoodles at your local supermarket for pre-spiralized squash.
9. Roasted Butternut Squash And Turkey Chili With White Beans And Sage
14. Butternut Squash, Apple And Currant Panzanella Salad
If you're wondering what panzanella is, it's basically bread salad. And this one is so autumnal, it's practically wearing a cardigan and sipping a PSL.
15. Yotam Ottolenghi’s Roasted Butternut Squash With Lentils And Gorgonzola
How gorgeous is this side dish? It stars earthy lentils, sweet roasted squash and tangy Gorgonzola. We can hear your guests' oohs and ahhs already.
18. Dijon-maple Chicken With Brussels Sprouts And Butternut Squash
Nope, we'll never get over sheet-pan dinners. Especially the ones coated in maple-mustard glaze. And even more so if they take less than an hour to make.
20. Spinach, Roasted Garlic And Butternut Squash Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If a recipe calls for a whole head of roasted garlic, odds are we want to eat it. Like, ASAP. The melty pepper jack caught our attention, too.
21. Hearty Roasted Butternut Squash And Apple Salad
Our favorite part of a salad is always the crispy bits on top. Here, that means cinnamon-maple pecans.
23. Black Bean Butternut Sliders With Chipotle Ketchup
Since butternut squash is super moist and creamy, you won't have to worry about these veggie burgers turning out dry.
26. Butternut Squash And Apple Pita Bread Pizzas With Cheddar Cheese And Sage
Forget fussing with pizza dough, homemade or store-bought. Mini pitas will work just fine. We'll take extra honey and crushed red pepper flakes on ours, please.
27. Caramelized Butternut, Roasted Garlic And Coconut Butter Grilled Cheese
Sure, it usually takes about five minutes to make a grilled cheese, not 35. But roasting the garlic and sautéing the squash is so, so worth the extra work. Go ahead, treat yourself.
31. Winter Squash Galette With Caramelized Onions And Gruyère
This beauty is destined for your Thanksgiving table. While the homemade crust is simple enough, we won't tell if you use store-bought pie dough as a shortcut.
32. Farro Risotto With Butternut Squash And Scallions
Rice who? Pearled farro stands in for the traditional grain, and meets butter, garlic, butternut squash and shredded Parmesan cheese for a decadent spin on old-school risotto.
34. Roasted Squash Salad With White Beans, Bread Crumbs And Preserved Lemon
37. Julia Turshen’s Radicchio And Roasted Squash Salad
38. Alison Roman’s Roasted Squash With Yogurt And Spiced Buttered Pistachios
This dish tastes like all the best parts of chunky sweater season, from the cumin-turmeric nut topping to the buttery winter squash.
39. Cheesy Butternut Squash, Andouille Sausage And Herb Stuffing
Hunks of French baguette. Shredded Gruyère cheese. Fresh sage, thyme and rosemary. Yup, the gang's all here.